For the purposes of this policy, “personal information” means any information which relates to an individual and allows that individual to be identified. The personal information that the Foundation may collect about you, the reasons for doing so, and the way such information is used are explained below.
Collection, Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information
The Foundation collects the personal information that is necessary for you, as an applicant or referee, to create an account and apply for a grant or submit a letter of reference, and for the Foundation to process your application or letter of reference in accordance with its requirements. The types of personal information that the Foundation may collect about you include your name and email address, when creating an account or acting as a referee; and your date of birth, address, telephone number, citizenship, and other complementary information, if you are completing an application or receive a grant.
Creation of an Account
It is necessary to create an account to access the application site and the software used to process applications, which is the only way to access, complete and file an application for a grant or submit a reference for an applicant. Personal information that you provide in creating your account is used for purposes of identification and security; it may be used, for instance, to re-initialize your account should you forget your password. It will automatically populate the settings for your account. You may change or correct the information in your account settings at any time, simply by accessing your account.
The Foundation uses the personal information provided by applicants in their application for purposes of identification and security; to verify and ensure compliance with its eligibility requirements; to process applications and the payment of grants awarded; for internal analysis and research by employees of the Foundation, in the performance of their duties; and for continuity and historical purposes. You may change or correct personal information in your application at any time, prior to its submission, simply by accessing it; however, once it is submitted, you may only change or correct personal information contained in your application by contacting the Foundation as set out in the section titled “Changes to your Personal Information or Account” below.
The Foundation uses personal information provided by referees for purposes of identification and to communicate with them; for internal statistical analysis and research by employees of the Foundation, in the performance of their duties; and for historical purposes.
The Foundation uses personal information provided by grantees for purposes of identification and security and to comply with applicable tax legislation.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Personal information provided or uploaded in the course of the application process is available from the time that it is entered or uploaded, and whether or not an application is submitted, to the following:
- the authorized employees of the Foundation, in the performance of their duties;
- the authorized supplier of the software used by the Foundation for the operation of the platform on which applications must be completed and submitted or letters of reference uploaded (“application platform”). The use, handling, disclosure and retention of your personal information by such supplier is governed by the terms and conditions of the supplier’s Privacy Notice found on the application platform and its Security Statement. It is your responsibility to consult the Privacy Notice and Security Statement by which you are bound; and
- the authorized supplier of the data management software used by the Foundation.
Your personal information may also be disclosed to or accessed by the following, as required from time to time:
- members of the Foundation’s panels charged with the review and evaluation of your application, in the performance of their duties;
- the Foundation’s IT consultants, for purposes of performing such upgrades and work as may be necessary to ensure the functionality of its computer systems and databases;
- the Foundation’s auditors or other professional or financial advisors, for purposes of financial and tax reporting and filings;
- the financial institutions processing payments made by the Foundation; and
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted under applicable law.
Storage and Retention of Personal Information
Personal information provided by you may be stored in the offices of the Foundation, in various computer systems of the Foundation or its service suppliers, or in storage installations of the Foundation or its service suppliers, in Canada or outside Canada.
All of the information, including personal information and documents, contained in a submitted application on which a determination has been made by the Foundation, or provided by an applicant or a referee in connection therewith, forms part of the Foundation’s permanent records. The Foundation is required to retain and store same permanently for verification of compliance with its eligibility requirements and evidentiary purposes.
Applications that are not submitted in a timely fashion, as specified on the application site, will be deleted in due course along with all the information contained therein.
Changes to your Personal Information or Account
To request the correction or deletion of any personal information to which you do not have direct access, or the deletion of your account, you may contact the Foundation at any time, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Foundation will attempt to accommodate such requests, to the extent possible. However, if your personal information or account is deleted, any application submitted by you that is awaiting consideration by the Foundation will be automatically withdrawn and you will immediately cease to be eligible to apply.
The information contained in or provided with a submitted application on which a determination has been made by the Foundation forms part of the Foundation’s permanent records and cannot be changed or deleted from the Foundation’s records.
Protection of Personal Information
To help protect the confidentiality of your personal information, the Foundation employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your personal information.